CBD Oil for Dogs - What you need to know
As a nation of pet owners, there are so many questions around how CBD can help our furry friends. We are here to summarise some of the questions we have been asked around CBD oil for dogs.
What Is CBD Oil?
Cannabidiol (CBD), is one of many chemical compounds, called cannabinoids, that are found in the cannabis plant, either marijuana or hemp. Both are varieties of cannabis, but marijuana has THC in it, which is the psychoactive component that causes a “high” feeling.
Whilst CBD is a component found in the marijuana plant, its actually derived from the hemp plant (a cousin of the marijuana plant). Unlike its marijuana counterpart, it will not get you “high” and is not addictive.
How Does CBD Affect Dogs?
Scientific research has shown that cannabinoids interact with the Endocannabinoid receptors located in the central and peripheral nervous systems, which help maintain balance in the body and keep it in a normal healthy state. The Endocannabinoid system is important as it helps control key things such as sleep, mood, anxiety, hunger, etc.
What Dog Health Problems Can CBD Oil Treat?
Although there is much research to be done globally on CBD for pets and dog CBD in particular, there’s user reports from dog owners who have said that CBD has helped with many issues from general pain to helping control seizures.
Our pets (especially dogs and cats) are usually busy bodies as they are curious in nature, so the anti inflammatory benefits are just one of a whole host of benefits that elitemii CBD could bring your dog.
Below are 5 common ailments where CBD could help.
1) Joint pain in dogs
This is common one for our pets, especially for dogs who are ageing.
As CBD is a natural anti-inflammatory, it does not have the same risk of side (negative) effects as other (pharmaceutical) drugs. CBD works by binding to CB1 receptors in the brain - these receptors stimulate the immune system to reduce inflammation. CB1 receptors can also change the way the brain responds to pain.
CBD is also known to bind to CB2 receptors which are found in the immune and nervous systems. As the CBD binds with these receptors, the body may produce more cannabinoids in a natural way which can also help reduce inflammation further and the associated pain.
2) Seizures And Epilepsy
Seizures are a scary experience whether you are human or a dog. Unfortunately, it is quite common for this to happen to dogs.
Most vets treat epilepsy and seizures with anti-epileptic drugs which may contain many elements. These drugs can harmful to your dog’s organs such as the liver whereas a good quality CBD oil dropper from elitemii.com contains all-natural ingredients.
Colorado State University conducted a clinical trail to assess the effectiveness of CBD on the frequency of seizures and found the results "promising and exciting". The study found 89% of dogs that received the CBD had a reduction in seizures.
On many occasions, the cause of a seizure is unknown however it is speculated that the abnormal electric charges of the neurons in the nervous system cause them. It is believed that the endocannabinoid system's interaction with CBD can reduce the frequency and severity of seizures as it binds with the receptors in the brain which some researchers have said could improve the functioning of the nervous system.
3) Anxiety in dogs
Just like in humans, anxiety also exists within our pet dogs. However, dogs may express this differently for example aggression, fear, distress from noise etc. If this is your pet, you are not alone and many have turned to CBD for support.
Again, there are many pharmaceutical drugs available which carry side effects and dogs owners are now turning to CBD as it is natural substance. Many of us humans are now using CBD for stress and anxiety and seems to be beneficial to us. For dogs, putting a few drops in the mouth is most effective where others may simply put a few drops in their food.
Although there are ongoing studies into how exactly CBD helps control stress and anxiety, it’s commonly thought that CBD helps regulate serotonin - a hormone that regulates our mood, behavior, sleep and appetite. CBD may have to be used over a period of time before it has a real effect so don't give up too easy.
4) Pain relief for dogs
One of the main reasons for buying CBD has been for general pain relief.
As mentioned earlier, good quality CBD binds to both CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain and nervous system which can help change the way your dog perceives pain and if pain is being caused by inflammation, CBD is has been known to reduce this.
5) Dogs with allergies
If your dog is suffering from allergies or skin conditions, you know how distressing this is.
The endocannabinoid system is also found in the skin … and that’s good news for dogs with allergies. It means CBD can help relieve dry and itchy skin. And it can promote the growth of new healthy skin cells.
You can give CBD via oral oral consumption or use a topical such as the elitemii CBD massage oil - which contain natural ingredients such as jojoba and vitamin E. A great product for dryness/itchy patches.
Other potential benefits of CBD for dogs:
- cardiac benefits
Possible Side Effects and Risk of CBD in Dogs
As more research still needs to be done in this area, there may be potential side effects based on how CBD affects humans as well as possibly having more benefits. At elitemii, we would always recommend consulting a professional vet and if introducing CBD, to start off in small dosages.
- More consumption of liquids: CBD can decrease the production of saliva. This in turn would mean, your furry friend would more intake in liquids eg water because of thirst.
- Lowered blood pressure: Having high doses of CBD could cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. Even though the drop is small, it might create a brief feeling of light-headedness as it is helping the body to relax.
- Laziness/Drowsiness: Dog owners have used CBD to treat anxiety as well as erratic behavior. The calming effect of CBD can also cause slight drowsiness which look as if your dog is being lazy, especially when using higher doses.
In the U.S, the Food and Drug Administration has not approved CBD and has not issued a guidance on how much CBD your dog should consume. We would always advise, when giving your dog something new, speak to a professional and start out with small dosages and monitor the situation.
CBD Products on the Market
The market is flooded with CBD products, which can make your decision making a long process.
Firstly, identify what you need the CBD for. This will help determine the strength you need and whether an oral or topical is required.
To give our customers peace of mind, our range of elitemii products, are:
- Organic - This is important as our tinctures contain nothing but the concentration stated of CBD with no added preservatives.
- Clean - Our oil is extracted using the supercritical CO2 method of extraction to ensure that all the valuable cannabinoids & terpenes are preserved as well as providing a clean product. Alcohol is not used in any of our processes and our products do not contain any harmful heavy metals.
- Price - Simply put, we offer high quality CBD at some of the most competitive prices in the UK.
- Test data -When conducting your research, always take the time to look into laboratory reports to determine what is in your product. You will want to have thc free or very little THC (THC is the compound that gives a 'high' effect'.
- All elitemii products are lab tested and 3rd party tested/ reviewed. Our lab reports are available online and clearly show that you will be getting a product you can trust.
- Full spectrum CBD - The oil used in all elitemii products is full spectrum meaning that it is derived from full plant extract providing the full benefits of all the flavanoids and terpenes. There may be a whole load of broad spectrum oils that may not be as beneficial.
- What product to buy - One of the most popular ways to get your pet dog to ingest CBD is by dropping oil into their food. This can done via the CBD oil tincture directly into the mouth or into food.
How much CBD should my dog consume?
If you are deciding on using CBD oil for dogs, we always would recommend a small amount of CBD to begin with and build up a tolerance. Dogs, like humans, come in all different shapes and sizes as well as having different needs for CBD. Elitemii's full spectrum CBD is packed with all the highest quality CBD as well as the additions from the full plant extract, without the THC.
The taste of pure CBD oil is quite earthy and is not to everyone's taste much less your dog. If you are struggling with getting them to take their medication or CBD then a great way could be to put a few drops of the oil in Peanut butter, cheese or any of their favourite treats.
Our oil tinctures contain:
- 10% tincture in 10ml bottle contains approx. 5.4mg per drop
- 20% tincture in 10ml bottle contains approx. 10.8mg per drop
Need more information?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.elitemii.com